Full Professor Analytics of Biomolecular Interactions
Are you ambitious to become a leader in bio-analytical sciences and do you have a strong record in the development of cutting-edge analytical technologies solving life-science queries? Please apply at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
The chair Analytics of Biomolecular Interactions is positioned within the division of Bio-Analytical Chemistry (BAC) of the Department of Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Sciences (CPS), and will further strengthen the excellence in analytical sciences in Amsterdam. The chair will develop and apply new and improved analytical and biophysical approaches that evaluate and employ biomolecular binding and affinity, linking chemical structure and biological function. Focus is on biomolecular interactions which play a role in e.g. biochemical signaling, metabolic pathways, or in drug discovery and development. The chair will also develop analytical tools that use molecular interactions for the selective separation, isolation and/or detection of biomolecules in targeted and untargeted approaches. Mass spectrometry, advanced separation techniques, and molecular spectroscopy (and a combination thereof) will be predominant analytical tools.
We strongly encourage women to apply for this position. In the case of equal suitability of candidates, preference will be given to a female candidate.
- you are able to play a leading role in the research program of the division and the department
- you are able to play a central role in shaping and teaching the education portfolio of the division as embedded in the BSc and MSc programs of CPS
- you have experience with supervising, motivating and coaching of PhD and MSc students, postdocs, and a technician
- you are able to acquire and manage national and international research grants
- you engage and manage research projects and collaborations with academic, industrial and governmental partners
- you demonstrate a continuous and creative output publishing in well-respected journals
- you are able to perform managerial tasks for the division and the department
- you play an active role in local, national and international research platforms
- you have a PhD degree and a strong track record in the field of interest as demonstrated by well-cited publications in top-10 journals of the field and/or relevant experience gained from research within industry or the public sector
- you have proven ability and/or potency to attract external grants in order to finance research
- you demonstrate strong capabilities of leadership, management, collaboration, innovation and valorization
- you are an inspiring teacher with a track record in undergraduate and/or graduate teaching programs
- you have a basic qualification in teaching ('BKO') or willingness to attain this within two years after appointment
- you are fluent in English and (if appropriate) are willing to learn to speak Dutch
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Fixed-term contract: 1 year.
A challenging position in a socially involved organization. On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 5582.- and a maximum of € 8127,- in accordance with salary scale H2, depending on your experience. The job profile (full professor) is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 1.0 FTE.
The initial employment contract will affect a period of 1 year, with the possibility of extension.
Promising junior candidates who do not yet meet all mentioned requirements, will also be seriously considered for this position and are encouraged to apply. Such a candidate will initially be appointed as Associate Professor for 5 years after which, on condition of adequate progress and performance, she/he will be promoted to the rank of Full Professor.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- contribution to commuting expenses
- good child daycare facilities available on campus
- good paid parental leave arrangement
The ambition of Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is clear: to contribute to a better world through outstanding education and ground-breaking research. And to be a university where personal education and societal involvement play a leading role. Where people from different disciplines and backgrounds work together on innovations and on generating new knowledge. Our teaching and research embrace the whole spectrum of science – from the humanities, the social sciences and the pure sciences through to the life sciences and the medical sciences.
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is home to more than 24,500 students. We employ more than 4,600 individuals. The VU campus is easily accessible, located in the heart of Amsterdam’s Zuidas district, a truly inspiring environment for teaching and research.
Diversity is one of our university’s core values. We are an inclusive community, and we believe that diversity and international activities enhance the quality of education and research. We are always looking for people who can enhance diversity on our campus thanks to their background and experience.
The Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science inspires researchers and students to find sustainable solutions for complex societal issues. From forest fires to big data, from obesity to medicines and from molecules to the moon: our teaching and research programmes cover the full spectrum of the natural sciences. We share knowledge and experience with leading research institutes and industries, both here in the Netherlands and abroad.
Working at the Faculty of Science means working with students, PhD candidates and researchers, all with a clear focus on their field and a broad view of the world. We employ more than 1,250 staff members, and we are home to around 6,000 students.
About the division BAC
BAC is part of the Department of Chemistry & Pharmaceutical Sciences and the Amsterdam Institute for Medicines, Molecules and Systems (AIMMS). BAC research centers around novel multidimensional analytics addressing queries pertaining to biomolecular and drug characteristics, and (bio)chemical processes. BAC focuses on analytical hyphenation, integration and miniaturization for in-depth macromolecular characterization and high-resolution bioactivity screening. The infrastructure of the group includes state-of-the art MS, HPLC, and CE equipment. BAC also trains and educates students and young professionals at the highest international level in the area of analytical chemistry. PhD, MSc and BSc students actively and intensively participate in the research program. For both research and teaching, BAC strongly collaborates with the Analytical Chemistry group of the University of Amsterdam forming the Center for Analytical Sciences Amsterdam (CASA).
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until 30 September 2019.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Prof. dr. Govert W. Somsen
Position: Head of BAC and Professor of Biomolecular Analysis/Analytical Chemistry
If you have any questions regarding moving to Amsterdam, and working at VU Amsterdam, you may contact:
Name: Wytske Siegersma
Position: Relocation Advisor
Telephone: +31 (20) 59 85037
Andere Anzeigen des Arbeitgebers
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning
Umeå University Umeå
Early Stage Researcher (PhD student), Computational Modelling
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
Professor in Science education
Stockholm University Stockholm
Research Associate in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Khalifa University of Science and Technology Förenade Arabemiraten