Doctoral student in Networked Systems - Programmable Internet Networks
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för elektroteknik och datavetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Information and Communication Technology
Communication networks are crucial to human society. The most notable network - the Internet - offers a plethora of services to its users and it is poised to become more pervasive in the near future. Yet, the heterogeneous set of requirements posed by the emerging services stands as a huge challenge for the Internet community for two main reasons:
i) Internet networks have been extremely hard to adapt to the emerging use cases for decades and
ii) end-to-end Internet connectivity entails forwarding packets across multiple networks that are owned by completely independent organizations with possibly contrasting goals.
The goal of this Ph.D. position is to explore the most recent networking paradigms and to build highly innovative programmable networks that better suit the emerging modern-day requirements for the Internet. This task entails devising inter- and intra-domain solutions that conciliate the needs of the different networking organizations, networking vendors, Internet application services, Cloud datacenters, and beyond. Examples include leveraging the emerging network programming abstractions (e.g., SDN, P4), trends (Machine Learning, blockchain technology), and congestion control schemes to improve the performance, security, robustness, and reliability of today s Internet-wide connectivity.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- Life-long network through KTH s Alumni organization .
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- Monthly salary according to KTH s Ph.D. student salary agreement . KTH s employee benefits .
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitols, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and get settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 högskoleförordningen), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at an advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at an advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
Futhermore you will need:
- a strong background in distributed systems, networking, programming, and operating systems
- very good algorithmic and critical reasoning skills
- strong motivation, with a desire to experiment, explore, and diagnose complex problems
- excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
- the ability to develop into an independent researcher in keeping with the national learning outcomes for a doctoral student.
- Knowledge of C++ and Linux/UNIX is a merit.
In order to succeed as a doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or her work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctor's degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year. The employment may be extended for a maximum of two years at a time. However, the total period of employment may not exceed the equivalent of four years of full-time study. Decisions on employment as a doctoral student may not be appealed.
Eligibility, selection and admissions are regulated in antagningsordning till utbildning vid Kungl. Tekniska högskolan and the program description for the doctoral program and current subject syllabus available on KTH's website .
Doctoral students should primarily devote themselves to their own education, but may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH:s recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET / CEST (Central European Time / Central European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Statement of purpose: Why do you want to pursue a PhD, what are your academic interests, how they relate to your previous studies and future goals; maximum 2 pages long.
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports: Documents no longer than 10 pages each. For longer documents (e.g. theses), please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH s work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here .
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth s doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: J-2019-1682
Last application date: 2019-10-31
Andere Anzeigen des Arbeitgebers
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning
Umeå University Umeå
Early Stage Researcher (PhD student), Computational Modelling
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
Professor in Science education
Stockholm University Stockholm
Research Associate in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Khalifa University of Science and Technology Förenade Arabemiraten