Doctoral student in RF/THz microsystems/MEMS for microwave photonic meas
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Skolan för elektroteknik och datavetenskap
Third-cycle subject: Electrical Engineering
The research group of RF/microwave/THz MEMS is a part of the Department of Micro and Nano Systems at KTH consisting of more than 50 researchers and Ph.D. students. Research in RF/microwave/THz MEMS is carried out for applications including telecommunication, radar, medical diagnosis and space instruments, at frequencies from 75 to 750 GHz. The research output of the RF/microwave/THz MEMS group is well recognized internationally, and its Ph.D. students have received a total of six IEEE Best Paper Awards and four IEEE Graduate Fellowships in recent years. National and international partners in ongoing research collaborations include, for instance, Ericsson (SE), Infineon (DE), Chalmers (SE), CSEM (CH), NASA-JPL (USA), Tokyo Institute of Technology (JP).
The specific research project is on developing novel measurement interfaces at sub-terahertz and terahertz frequencies, combining the microwave and photonics domain. Applications in that project are electrical measurements and medical sensing. The project is a collaboration project with Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Spain), Anritsu (UK), Fraunhofer Gesellschaft (Germany), ITMO (Russia), and Protemics (Germany). As a Ph.D. student you will work in an interdisciplinary research team, you will develop your own millimeter-wave/THz microsystem device concepts, you will model and simulate them in state-of-the-art design tools, you will fabricate them by silicon-micromachining in the KTH clean-room laboratory, and you will characterize them in our THz laboratory and on system level at project partners.
Project funding is provided by the European Commission via the H2020 Future-Emerging-Technology project TERAMEASURE , grant agreement 862788.
What we offer
- The possibility to study in a dynamic international research environment in close cooperation with industries and advanced universities the world over.
- A personal study plan to support your development within your areas of interest.
- A workplace with many employee benefits and monthly salary according to KTH s Doctoral student salary agreement .
- A postgraduate education at an institution that is active and supportive in matters pertaining to working conditions, gender equality and diversity as well as study environment.
- Work and study in Stockholm, one of Europe s fastest growing capitals, which is close to both nature and the sea.
- Help to relocate and be settled in Sweden and at KTH .
To be admitted to postgraduate education (Chapter 7, 39 Swedish Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility in accordance with either of the following:
- passed a degree at advanced level,
- completed course requirements of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits at advanced level, or
- in any other way acquired within or outside the country acquired essentially equivalent knowledge.
In order to succeed as an doctoral student at KTH you need to be goal oriented and persevering in your work. In the selection of the applicants, the following will be assessed:
- ability to independently pursue his or hers work,
- ability to collaborate with others,
- have a professional approach and
- analyse and work with complex issues.
A specialization in RF/microwave engineering, is an necessary asset. Knowledge in microsystem technology/micro-electromechanical systems, measurement technology, photonics, and/or nanotechnology is advantageous. Knowledge in RF design tools and Matlab is advantageous.
After the qualification requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal qualities and personal suitability.
Target degree: Doctoral degree
Information regarding admission and employment
Only those who are or have been admitted to third-cycle studies may be employed as a doctoral student. The term of the initial contract may not exceed one year and may there after be extended. Doctoral students may engage in teaching, research, and administration corresponding to a maximum of 20 % of a full-time position.
You will find contact information for union representatives on KTH's website .
Doctoral section (Students union on KTH Royal Institute of Technology)
You will find contact information for doctoral section on the section's website .
Apply for the position and admission through KTH's recruitment system. It is the applicant s responsibility to ensure that the application is complete in accordance with the instructions in the advertisement.
Applications must be received at the last closing date at midnight, CET/CEST (Central European Time/entral European Summer Time).
Applications must include the following elements:
- CV including your relevant professional experience and knowledge.
- Application letter with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long)
- Copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Swedish if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages.
- Representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text.
Gender equality, diversity and zero tolerance against discrimination and harassment are important aspects of KTH's work with quality as well as core values in our organization.
For information about processing of personal data in the recruitment process please read here.
We firmly decline all contact with staffing and recruitment agencies and job ad salespersons.
Disclaimer: In case of discrepancy between the Swedish original and the English translation of the job announcement, the Swedish version takes precedence.
Type of employment: Temporary position longer than 6 months
Working hours: Full time
Salary: Monthly salary according to kth's doctoral student salary agreement
Reference number: J-2019-2133
Last application date: 2019-10-15
Andere Anzeigen des Arbeitgebers
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning
Umeå University Umeå
Early Stage Researcher (PhD student), Computational Modelling
University of Eastern Finland - UEF Finland
Professor in Science education
Stockholm University Stockholm
Research Associate in Electrical and Computer Engineering
Khalifa University of Science and Technology Förenade Arabemiraten